Greece
The Tegea Archaeological Museum is a place where the visitor can enjoy works belonging to the highest inspiration times of ancient Greek sculpture.
The Tegea Archaeological Museum is a place where the visitor can enjoy works belonging to the highest inspiration times of ancient Greek sculpture.
The Tegea Archaeological Museum was built between 1907-1908 in what was then known as Piali (now Alea) of Tegea. The purposes of the museum’s construction were two: a) to protect and exhibit all the important finings from the temple of Athena of Alea and b) to collect and safeguard all the ancient findings of Tegea’s land, which were laying around or stacked and not adequetly protected in small local archaeological collections.
Through the Tegea Archaeological Museum’s development, we can observe the efforts of the free Greek nation comcerning the rescue and exhibition of the local culture of Tegea.
The museum is housed in the same building as the old Venetianturkey Headquarters Complex, which was within the perimeter of the Venetian castle, which was strengthened during the Turkish occupation.
The museum was founded in 1967 and opened in September 1993. Housed in a building that exemplifies local traditional architecture and developed at two levels.
The Museum Nikos Kazantzakis in Myrtia Heraklion opened on June 27, 1983 by the culture minister Melina Mercouri.
GNTO Registry Number: 1039Ε60000070000
Number GE.MI. 118062927000